The first container was used over a couple bowls of my famous cereal concoctions. For those who haven't seen my cereal recipes, it usually has two types of cereal, kefir as opposed to milk, and about 5 other ingredients like nuts, seeds, and random fruit. Its always a production. Lately I've been on an amaranth flake and granola base, almonds, pumpkin seed, flax seed, sliced apples, and blueberries kick. Oh and don't forget the organic plain kefir or yogurt instead of milk. It makes all the difference.OK back to my story. So its been about 4 days now since I bought these blackberries and I have the second pack sitting in their completely untouched. I knew they had to be used quickly but I wasn't sure how. It seemed the obvious answer would be the blender. Problem was that I had almost no other fruit other than bananas and apples and I'm not a huge fan of apple peel in my smoothies, Yes I know I could peel it but I hate throwing away nutrients.
Anyway, I thought about it last night and wasn't sure about a banana blackberry smoothie but when I woke up this morning, it seemed like a great idea for some reason. Seemed to me that the banana would serve to mellow out the tart blackberries so I tried it. At first I put in the banana and then I dumped in the whole package of blackberries. Next for a liquid base I put in some kefir (if you don't know, kefir is like a liquid yogurt beverage which is extremely healthy and is a better pro-biotic source than yogurt. You can find it in specialty shops and health food stores).
Now if you've every used blackberries in a smoothie you know the amazing deep purple that comes from it. An entire package of blackberries was fun to watch. Once that was done I tried it and it was great but since it was breakfast, I knew I needed some fat and protein. Next I added 3 tblsp natural peanut butter, 1 tblsp of olive oil, and one scoop of whey protein.
It was thick, but it taste kind of ;ie a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a glass! I gotta say I really loved it. Tastes great, high calories, high protein, and very dense in vitamins and minerals.
No comments:
Post a Comment